Verses 1-2: The Water of Life and the Tree of Life
1. Genesis 2:9-10 and Genesis 3:22-24
2. Zechariah 14:1-11 (emphasis verse 8): Many themes from last chapters Revelation.
3. Ezekiel 47:1-12
4. Isaiah 35:6-10
4. Revelation 22:14
* The picture here is one of remarkable abundant life. Note 12 kinds of fruit… the imagery is of a perfect world
*The city-temple described in Revelation 21 and 22 is connected to:
The picture of the perfect bride (the church) living in a perfect world. The city-temple imagery traces back to the OT tabernacles and temples and to the Garden of Eden itself.
Verses 3-4: The Curse is Removed and We Will See His Face
1. Genesis 3:14-19
2. Zechariah 14:11
3. Revelation 21:4
4. We will worship and serve the Lord in this place. We are all priests.
4. Moses could not see the face of God and live
5. The sanctuary curtains in the temple shielded God’s presence and there was no entry into the holy of holies until smoke engulfed the atonement cover.
6. 1 John 3:2
7. Name on our foreheads: just as it was on the high priests forehead in the OT. The picture is one of intimacy.
Verse 5: No More Darkness, We will reign forever and ever (Daniel 7:18)
This is a world where all darkness is banished. It is over. Note in the Gospel of John a running theme of light and darkness. Jesus is the Light of the world. So are we.
Things about Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden before sin and the curse came:
1. God created man in his image (male and female): this is restored more fully when a person comes to Christ. Genesis 1
2. Adam and Eve were given dominion over the fish, birds, livestock, and all living things. Genesis 1
3. They were told to be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth and subdue it: Genesis 1. After the fall Noah, Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob are all told to be fruitful and multiply. Genesis 9:1-4 introduces a great change regarding dominion and man’s eating.
4. They were told to work and keep the Garden of Eden. Genesis 2. *We work because we are made in God’s image and it is part of the blessing God gave us. Failure to work is to be less human (less in his image).
Revelation 22:6-21 (Epilogue)
Verse 6: These words are trustworthy and true: See Revelation 21:5; Daniel 2:45
To Think About: How does it affect our lives to realize that God’s words are trustworthy and true?
1. We cling to the words of Revelation as true in the midst of a flood of Satan’s lies.
2. This is why it is important to immerse ourselves in the truth of God’s word. If we do not we are going to likely be swayed by the deceitful lies of Satan.
Verse 7: Coming Soon and a Blessing
1. There have been many “comings” of Christ in history but we await the final one. 70 AD is an example.
2. Blessing: see 1:3
To Think About: How do we keep the words of the prophecy of the book of Revelation?